[asterisk-users] Replace full PRI with SIP/IAX trunks...YES/NO?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Oct 5 14:18:15 CDT 2007

Jim Canfield wrote:
> I've been considering replacing a PRI with SIP or IAX trunks.  The
> monthly cost difference is marginal, but it would save a bit on the
> hardware side and soft trunks would be easier to manage. I can't help
> but wonder what I would be giving up?  I'd like to hear some "lessons
> learned" from those who are doing it or decided, for whatever reason,
> it's a bad idea.

If your provider will be providing the SIP trunks then it might be OK.
Otherwise I would stick with PRI.

My lessons learned are that you cannot control the public internet and
traffic shaping and QoS are not useful most of the time.  I would only
consider a point to point if this your phone system is mission critical.

Explain a little more on who would replace your service and over what
facilities.  Surely, you are not going to get IAX service from your
internet provider.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro