[asterisk-users] Sangoma vs Digium: (was Re: ping too)

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Oct 5 11:19:49 CDT 2007

Lee Howard wrote:
> Any Digium competitor is immediately on unequal footing with respect to
> Asterisk due to the dual-license and requisite disclaiming of
> contributions.  You're asking those competitors to contribute not only
> to the open-source Asterisk, but also to contribute to Digium's ABE and
> private licensing ambitions.

I understand your point here.  In fact, while I strongly encourage any company
with a commercial interest in Asterisk to contribute, but I do _not_ expect it
of them.

My argument, really, is this.  I understand and believe that an open and
competitive market leads to the best results for the consumers in the end.  With
that said, evaluate your alternatives and use what best fits your needs.

As a Digium employee, I hope that we can continue to provide what best fits your
needs as the consumer.  Also, in the hardware market, if all things are
considered equal, I hope that people give us a chance to be your first choice,
given our dedication to Asterisk and open source software.  Also, if anyone has
a problem with our hardware, I just ask that you give our support and
engineering departments a reasonable chance to evaluate and fix your problems
that we better serve you and other customers in the future.

Thank you to everyone for your support of Asterisk.  It has been _extremely_
exciting for me to be able to work on this project.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer