[asterisk-users] Sangoma vs Digium: (was Re: ping too)

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Oct 5 10:41:25 CDT 2007

Matthew Fredrickson wrote:

>Not to ignite any fires, but I don't think I've *ever* knowingly
>received a patch to libpri or chan_zap from them.  And I've fixed a few
>protocol related bugs in libpri for people with Sangoma cards.  It'd be
>nice if they at the very least supported the protocol stacks and zaptel
>channel driver they use to make money off their cards.

The report appears to have been reaped from Mantis, but I was involved
with a contribution from OpenVOX for zaptel, and from my perspective it
looked like the Digium staff involved killed it and never gave any
indication that the contribution would be accepted.  Certainly seeing
that kind of antagonism isn't going to encourage competitors to contribute.

There is an atmosphere of hostility between Digium and its competitors
that you yourself are expressing in this very thread.  Expecting those
competitors to eagerly come to your table and play in your pool
underneath your rules... and then complaining publicly against them when
they don't is really a bit much.

Any Digium competitor is immediately on unequal footing with respect to
Asterisk due to the dual-license and requisite disclaiming of
contributions.  You're asking those competitors to contribute not only
to the open-source Asterisk, but also to contribute to Digium's ABE and
private licensing ambitions.

In my estimation what you're complaining about is only fair-play.  If
you really want fairness then start by being fair yourself.

Lee.