[asterisk-users] Sangoma vs Digium: (was Re: ping too)

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Oct 5 07:51:07 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 13:06 +0100, Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> > Nothing from me is posting to the list either.
> >

> heh. Thought that this trick would work: it did for Doug.
>
> I've been trying to send the email below for 3 days now !
>
> I know this is probably going to ignite the flames again ..
>
> I have looked at the recent threads regarding these two manufacturers,
> but there didn't seem to be much *technical* differences between the 2,
> it was rather more subjective - some people say Sangoma is better, some
> say Digium. And quite a lot of "you're spreading FUD" "No, you are" etc.
>
> I wanted to know if anyone has any specific comparisons or suggestions
> on the Sangoma A104D and the Digium TE406/411 cards ?
>
> We have used the TE405 and te410 in the past, changed to sangoma A102
> (because of problems we were having at the time that we now think may
> have been telco related).
>
> Setting up the digium cards seemed simpler (no patching etc, and no
> extra wanrouter drivers) but the A102 seem very stable and reliable.
>
> Julian

Oh, Julian, I'd imagine what I'm about to say will fuel some flames!

Here's a fairly powerful argument for all you asterisk users, as to why
you
should purchase a Digium product vs. a Sangoma: Because Digium uses a
chunk
of the purchase money to support Asterisk. And Sangoma DOES NOT. Digium
employs
several developers specifically to maintain and improve Asterisk.
Sangoma DOES NOT. While they may maintain and improve their own versions
of the various drivers, THEY DO NOT SHARE THEIR SOFTWARE. Matt F. told
me last week we haven't seen ANYTHING from them for a LONG TIME, with
respect to the zaptel drivers. If they have been contributing patches,
they are disguising their association with Sangoma.

Don't get me wrong. I AM a Digium employee! A software Developer to be
specific,
an Asterisk developer to be precise. So, I AM highly biased towards
Digium!

Digium has a harder job than Sangoma with respect to Asterisk. While
Digium
takes a chunk of its revenue, and uses it to maintain and improve
Asterisk (not just the drivers), Sangoma doesn't, and it gives them a
competitive edge.

So, for all you folks who have bought Digium, I personally thank you!
You have helped Asterisk, and you have personally helped ME. If you have
long-range business or interest in Asterisk, you are indirectly
contributing to its growth and improvement when you buy Digium products
& services.

murf

--
Steve Murphy