[asterisk-users] Suppressing certain queue announcement voice prompts

asterisk-users at rogg.is asterisk-users at rogg.is
Fri Nov 30 09:49:43 CST 2007

> sounds
> >> Which announcements are you trying to not play?
> >
> > queue-thankyou for instance, to name one. Or any other of the queue-*
> > files in general. From time to time it can be convenient to change
> the
> > exact prompts played (order and contents) due to language differences
> > and personal preference of the end-users.
> >
> > We're doing this now by replacing them with silence but I'm just
> > thinking that it would be more elegant to have Asterisk not attempt
> > play them in the first place. We've also removed the files in some
> > instances but that's even worse from my point of view because then we
> > get file-not-present warnings.
>
> The sounds used are configurable in queues.conf. For instance, if you
> wanted to change queue-thankyou to play something else, you could add
> the line
>
> queue-thankyou = mythankyoufile
>
> inside a queue context. Unfortunately, the order the files are played
> in is not configurable. If you don't want sounds played at all, then
> there are certain options which you can simply not set inside a queue
> in order to not have the sounds play. If you don't set a periodic-
> announce-frequency, then periodic announcements will not play.
> Similarly, if you do not set an announce-frequency, then
> position/holdtime announcements will not be played.

Well described and I understand that perfectly. The orignal point however
was if it is possible to tell the queue application to not bother with
certain announcements. I was hunting for some configuration options that are
either not present in the queues.conf sample file or perhaps that I could
find this in some totally different file that I may not have thought of
already. Not because it's unclear how to replace them (as you described very
well) with for instance a file containing very short silence or configure
the queue so that they are not applicable (like the periodic announcement),
but just to not spend time and resources on playing a file that we would
rather not hear.

Thank you for your clear reply though, you make an excellent point regarding
the existing configuration options.