[asterisk-users] Broadcast dialing/playback

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Nov 26 14:41:24 CST 2007

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, J. Oquendo wrote:

> Has anyone created like a broadcast dialplan, if so care to
> share it. What I'd like to do is create an extension so when
> someone calls that extension they can leave a voicemail. Right
> after it is recorded, I need that voicemail to played on all
> phones on that system... E.g.:
>
> 1) Administrator --> Dial special number
> 2) Record emergency message (e.g. Snow day don't come in)
> 3) Hang up
> 4) System dials all extensions and plays emergency message.
>
> Please re-read before you fire off
>
> Dial(SIP/100&SIP/101&SIP/102)
>
> There are about 500 extensions so I guess either a
> System(/path/to/perhaps/perlscript.pl) or something?

How about an AGI that reads the list from a database and creates call
files? An AGI() is better than a system() because the AGI has access to
the channel and its variables. They both create a separate process so they
"cost" about the same in system resources.

The AGI could tell the caller how many call files were created. Or it
could set a channel variable which you could use in your dialplan.

If you go this route, remember to create the call files in a temporary
directory (/tmp/) and "mv" it to Asterisk's spool directory
(/var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/).

Thanks in advance,