[asterisk-users] Echo Cancellers. WAS Digium and Asterisk

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:13:27 CST 2007

Anthony Chapellier wrote:
> Alan Lord a écrit :
>>
>> OSLEC (Open Source Echo Canceller). Here's the hope page:
>> http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/oslec.html. On my blog I discussed
>> installing it with zaptel 1.4.5.1. (1.4.6 is easier as you they fixed a
>> bug in that needed manually patching.)
>> http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2007/10/30/untangle-asterisk-pbx-and-file-server-all-in-one-part-71-oslec/
>>
>> I'd just try it out. If you read the thread on the Trixbox forum you'll
>> see that most of the respondents had excellent results too.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Sorry if my question seems a bit newb....but I'm familiar with echo
> canceller on the client end but not on the server end. So after having
> read some articles about the subject, I'd like to know if echo
> cancellation on server is useful for communication between two PCs or
> only between a VoIP UA and the analogic world (PSTN) ?
>
> Thanks,

This OSLEC code, *and* the standard EC that the Zaptel modules provide,
give LINE echo cancellation. That is fairly short duration echo as the
round-trip delay is at wirespeed (0.7C or more). If you have any cards
connecting to the PSTN over copper - you will almost certainly need echo
cancellation. You almost certainly have it anyway, just didn't know
about it probably.

Hope this Helps

Alan

--