[asterisk-users] Telus (Alberta) PRI Caller ID NAME, Display IE, Facility ID

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Tue Nov 6 15:36:42 CST 2007

Hi, James -- thanks for your comments.

James FitzGibbon wrote:
> On 11/6/07, *Stephen Bosch* <posting at vodacomm.ca
> <mailto:posting at vodacomm.ca>> wrote:
>
>     We are trying to send caller ID NAME information over a Telus PRI in
>     Alberta.
>
>     The PRI tech says that he sees the NAME information, and for calls over
>     the same network, that NAME info should be reaching the receiving
>     station, but it is not.
>

> I've had no end of trouble getting CNAM out of NI-2 PRIs with Telus.
> We're in Ontario, but the switch configs are the same across the country
> I believe.

Well, that's not strictly true. Configurations in BC and Alberta are
different, a legacy of the pre BCTel/Telus merger days.

BCTel had a lot of GTE Automatic Electric equipment in its network.

> It survives if it goes to a Telus customer, but not if it crosses over
> to Bell, Rogers, etc.

Well -- here's where you can help me, because our name info is not even
surviving on Telus' own network. I don't really care too much about Bell
and Rogers, since Bell barely has a footprint out here and Rogers
doesn't provide CNAM on its mobile network anyway (and nobody is using
Rogers home phone ;) ).

So -- if you had it working on Telus, what did you do?

> One tech claimed it was because I was sending calling name in addition
> to the IE,

He probably meant the Display IE *and* the Facility IE. If you see my
post it's what the technician I was working with suggested. Would be
great if I knew a way of turning off the Display IE, if that's even
possible/allowed. If it's not, then the "don't send both" idea is wrong.

> while another claimed it was just a problem when the call
> passes from a NI-2 circuit to NI-1 (which some of the other carriers
> still use).

Yeah, I've confirmed that this is an issue through a number of different
people.

> So, no real solution for you, but at least you know it's not something
> obvious you're doing.  I've tweaked my zaptel settings back and forth
> and tested with Telus on the phone to no avail.  In the end, we deemed
> the effort to not be worth it.

Did you end up adding name records to the LIDB?

Anyway -- again -- what did you do to get it working on Telus' network?
Do you know what kind of switch you were connected to?

-Stephen-