[asterisk-users] issues with downloads.digium.com

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Fri Nov 2 05:46:58 CDT 2007

Am Freitag, den 02.11.2007, 12:12 +0200 schrieb Atis Lezdins:
> On 11/2/07, Michiel van Baak <michiel at vanbaak.info> wrote:
> > On 09:38, Fri 02 Nov 07, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > > Does anyone from Digium want to comment on why this Eloqua stuff has been
> > > used, instead of just allowing Apache to serve the directory tree directly?
> > > And whether this decision might be reconsidered?
> > >

> > I think it's some sort of tool to track downloads and stuff
> > so the marketing people at digium can use that info for
> > their campaigns and stuff.
> >
> > I dont like it neither, but I dont think they will
> > reconsider. They closed the FTP downloads so everything has
> > to go thru this www tool. That makes it pretty obvious they
> > will stay with it.
>
> I wonder - why they can't get all the info from logs. They can even
> put .htaccess to route all downloads trough PHP that will log whatever
> else it needs..
>
> I'm just annoyingly copying URL and deleting first part of it - it's
> simpler that to quote whole URL.. And without quoting - bash can't
> correctly interpret the ? stuff..

When you use wget to retrieve data from the web, you will have to quote
the address if it contains more than one CGI parameter (and the "&"
character between parameters). Bash, as some other shells, reads the "&"
ampersand as "run this command in background", even if it is amidst
other character data.

"?" could cause havoc with file name completion, but it mostly will not
- who really keeps files with names like
"http://www.digium.com/downloads/index.php..." ? ;-)

For those who regularly download files, they probably could write some
small bash script that mimicks a browser in downloading the file.

I personally do not like forced download redirections. At least on
sf.net there is always a "direct link" which can be copy-pasted to a
console - this is especially important when you need to download the
file to a ssh-administered server, but the browser runs on your desktop
machine.

BR
Anselm