[asterisk-users] *End Of Life ASTERISK 1.2.X Was: INSTRUCTIONSFORTHE ASTERISK COMMUNITY - PLEASEREAD NOW *

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed May 30 16:09:59 MST 2007

Jared Smith wrote:
> Now, let's do some quick math... Asterisk 1.2.0 was released in
> November of 2005.  That means almost 18 months since the feature
> freeze for the Asterisk 1.2 branch.  (In reality, it's longer than
> that because there was a feature freeze on the 1.2 branch before 1.2.0
> was released.)  Asterisk 1.4.0 was released in December of last year,
> but has been in a feature freeze state for almost a year now.

And Asterisk 1.2.18 STILL has show stopping bugs.  This does not make me
feel all warm and fuzzy about moving to 1.4.x.  In fact, the idea of
moving to 1.4.x right now scares the hell out of me.   I don't like
crashing PBXs.  I don't like users screaming at me because they lost a
million dollar contract because their phones were down half the day.

Asterisk is a PBX.  It should not have to be upgraded as often as some
Microsoft server.  One of my customers are looking at moving to a 4 year
upgrade cycle (mostly because that is the max length of support from the
distro vendor they use)

No matter how much you test before deployment there will be issues that
are not seen until you put the system under significant load in a real
usage situation.