[asterisk-users] *End Of Life ASTERISK 1.2.X Was: INSTRUCTIONSFORTHE ASTERISK COMMUNITY - PLEASEREAD NOW *

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu May 31 10:52:34 MST 2007

2007/5/31, Eric ManxPower Wieling <eric at fnords.org>:

> And Asterisk 1.2.18 STILL has show stopping bugs.  This does not make me
> feel all warm and fuzzy about moving to 1.4.x.  In fact, the idea of
> moving to 1.4.x right now scares the hell out of me.   I don't like
> crashing PBXs.  I don't like users screaming at me because they lost a
> million dollar contract because their phones were down half the day.

I fully agree with you but it seems to me that even 1.2 was still supported
for another 12 or 24 months, there would still be a bunch of bugs that no
one could (because of user pressure) or would like (lack of incentive) to
solve, don't you think ?

Having a production environment you can't track bugs with, because of user
pressure, is one problem.
Seeing resources shifting from 1.4 to 1.6 or 1.2 to 1.4 is another problem.

I do wonder myself whether 1.4 would become production ready anytime soon.
Maybe, the ability to mix 2 different versions on the same system would help
to smooth migration.

Anyway, as security patches only apply to the last version (now 1.2.18), it
should be safe to upgrade to this version before it goes to "security patch
only" status.