[asterisk-users] *End Of Life ASTERISK 1.2.X Was: INSTRUCTIONSFORTHE ASTERISK COMMUNITY - PLEASEREAD NOW *

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Wed May 30 13:53:40 MST 2007

On 5/30/07, Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com> wrote:
> These are my hopes as well.  In addition to security related bugs, I
> would like to see any stability bugs quashed as well.  New features, I
> can live without for now, but bugs affecting the stability of the
> product should be implemented IMO.

It seems there's still a lot of confusion, so I'm going to spell it
out so that it's painfully obvious.  The Asterisk developers don't add
features to a release branch.  That means that there should have been
no new features in the 1.2 branch since 1.2.0 was released, and no new
features in 1.4 since 1.4.0 was released.  New features are only added
to trunk.  (Now, I can think of at least one minor exceptions to this
rule, but it was just that -- a minor exception.)

Now, let's do some quick math... Asterisk 1.2.0 was released in
November of 2005.  That means almost 18 months since the feature
freeze for the Asterisk 1.2 branch.  (In reality, it's longer than
that because there was a feature freeze on the 1.2 branch before 1.2.0
was released.)  Asterisk 1.4.0 was released in December of last year,
but has been in a feature freeze state for almost a year now.

-Jared