[asterisk-users] False ring problem

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed May 30 13:24:11 MST 2007

Rizwan Hisham wrote:
> Hi all,
> when a user dials any number, asterisk automatically generates ringing
> which
> caller can hear, and after 2 - 3 rings asterisk detects that the called
> user
> is busy, then caller hears busy tone. for example user hears---
> tone--tone--tobeep beep beep ---Can i some how eliminate the false ringing
> at the start so that user hears only beep beep beep if the called user is
> busy. I have used the R and r options in Dial application but they dont
> work.

Remove the "r" option from Dial.

I assume you have the following:

SIP Phone <-> Asterisk w/FXO card <-> POTS line

If you are using AMP or any other GUI for Asterisk, then my advice is
not valid, since those GUIs take over everything, hide the important
stuff, and add options to Dial that you never see.