[asterisk-users] FXS + Pots Extensions Help

Sean M. Pappalardo pegasus at renegadetech.com
Tue May 22 21:33:17 MST 2007

Rob Schall wrote:
> Normally I just use pri's with our asterisk systems, but a request came
> in to add some normal pots lines to the setup. We have 3 lines, and they
> run into the fxs ports. They hit the dialplan just fine, and they always
> dial the "s" extension. However, my question would be... Is there a way
> to determine what number was dialed and have it forward to a specific
> phone?

Sure, it's called a DID trunk. It's basically just a regular analog
phone line but the CO switch sends down the digits dialed in one of a
few ways: Dial pulse (DP), Multi-freq (MF), Dual-tone multi-frequency
(DTMF). They are usually inbound-only, but some CO's can add outbound
service too if needed. Call your phone service provider's business
office and ask about analog DID lines/trunks. They should be around
$30/mo for the line and $1-2/mo for each number. Ask them what type of
signaling they use then you'll need to configure your zapata.conf to
match. After that, you can then start routing in the dialplan based on
the number called. For extra fun, have the CO set them up in a hunt
group to avoid busy signals.

Take a look at: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+tips+DID

(BTW, Why are you adding analog lines if you're already big enough for a
PRI? Isn't it less expensive to just add a couple more DID numbers to
the PRI?)

Sean

This E-Mail message has been scanned for viruses
and cleared by >>SmartMail<< from Smarter Technology, Inc.