[asterisk-users] Re: OK to have Asterisk and clients behind firewalls?

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 01:15:40 MST 2007

> ... but when I pick up the handset, I get no voice either way, even
> when I set the Linksys gateway to use a static external IP address
> (STUN doesn't seem to work).

asterisk doesn't do STUN AFAIK, but I've never needed it and I use
double NAT and have since  1.0.?.

What happens when you do the echo test, call it from each phone?

You don't actually need ports 10000-20000, a few ports for each
expected channel will be enough. I have maybe 10000-10020.

There are a zillion settings on the phones, (which are what by the
way)? Look for RTP related ones. X-Lite has a setting for xmit silence
that if wrong, will not pass audio or will give one-way audio. I think
the wording is "do not transmit silence" which should remain
UNchecked. It sees "do not transmit silence" makes it transmit
non-silence as silence :)