[asterisk-users] Re: OK to have Asterisk and clients behind firewalls?

Vincent vincent.delporte at bigfoot.com
Mon May 21 06:51:36 MST 2007

I really appreciate your help :-)

On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:15:40 +0200, randulo <spamsucks2005 at gmail.com>
wrote:
>What happens when you do the echo test, call it from each phone?

Cool, I didn't know about Echo() .

I added extension 111 from this example:
http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/echo.html

Calling 111 from the remote IP phone works fine. I can hear myself.

>You don't actually need ports 10000-20000, a few ports for each
>expected channel will be enough. I have maybe 10000-10020.

Yup, I reduced them to 10000-10010 on the NAT router facing Asterisk.

>There are a zillion settings on the phones, (which are what by the
>way)?

I uploaded the 3102's web page here:

http://codecomplete.free.fr/3102_nat/

> Look for RTP related ones. X-Lite has a setting for xmit silence
>that if wrong, will not pass audio or will give one-way audio. I think
>the wording is "do not transmit silence" which should remain
>UNchecked. It sees "do not transmit silence" makes it transmit
>non-silence as silence :)

From home, I tried both X-Lite and a GrandStream IP phone, both with
STUN, and without opening any port on my NAT router, and they both ran
the Echo() test OK.

So... I guess it's something in the 3102 that must be changed so that
it will finally TX/RX voice packets to remote phones (works fine when
picking up an IP phone in the same LAN as the 3102 and Asterisk).

Thank you.