[asterisk-users] Re: OK to have Asterisk and clients behind firewalls?

Vincent vincent.delporte at bigfoot.com
Sun May 20 07:02:31 MST 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007 08:49:49 +0100 (BST), in
gmane.comp.telephony.pbx.asterisk.user Gordon Henderson
<gordon+asterisk at drogon.net>  wrote:
>Yes. You need to do a few things. Firstly, you need the asterisk server on
>a static IP address on the inside, so make sure it doesn't get it's IP
>address from the local DHCP server. Next, you need to enable
>port-forwarding on your router. You need to forward port 5060 and 10000
>through 20000 to the internal IP address of your asterisk box.
>
>Finally, you need to tell the asterisk box that it's on the inside of a
>NAT firewall. In sip.conf, you need 3 additional lines:
>
>   nat=yes
>   localnet=192.168.4.0/24
>   externip=1.2.3.4

Thanks a lot :-) That solved the UNREACHABLE issue, and the remote is
now ringing...

... but when I pick up the handset, I get no voice either way, even
when I set the Linksys gateway to use a static external IP address
(STUN doesn't seem to work).

But that's another question for another thread.