[asterisk-users] zaptel huge irq problem

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Thu May 17 09:20:16 MST 2007

François Delawarde wrote:
> I don't really know of other virtualization technology other than Xen,
> and I thank you for guiding me through this, but I have a few doubts
> related to the choice of a virtualization technology in a host with
> Asterisk:
>
> - Isn't the fact that KVM is now included in the mainstream Linux kernel
> as of 2.6.20 a certain type of 'proof' that it could be stable enough
> compared to others (of course there could be licensing or other
> political/friendship issues)?

It is anything but proof. Kernel inclusions are often a matter of
convenience.

> - Even if the virtual guests aren't totally stable and 100% reliable
> yet, wouldn't the use of KVM be better with Zaptel compatible cards than
> Xen, in architecture point of vue, as it is only a kernel module that
> -as far as I know- don't appear to be changing fundamental issues like
> IRQ handling or I/O scheduling in the kernel, and from the fact that
> virtual machines are treated like simple processes?

Why are you so determined to use Asterisk in a VM? You're asking for
trouble. Asterisk belongs on dedicated hardware.

We're just trying to help -- but if you insist on running Asterisk in a
VM, then you're on your own.

That's not a risk I'd want to take.

-Stephen-