[asterisk-users] zaptel huge irq problem

François Delawarde fdelawarde at wirelessmundi.com
Thu May 17 10:26:10 MST 2007

Hi,
> Why are you so determined to use Asterisk in a VM? You're asking for
> trouble. Asterisk belongs on dedicated hardware.

I actually want to use Asterisk in a machine HOSTING a VM (that's what I
implied with the Dom-0 thing I said earlier), sorry for the
misunderstanding. I agree with you that given the state of advancement
of just about any 'virtualizer', I would have to be totally stupid to
try running Asterisk inside a VM. (I also wouldn't have asked here in
the first place, as I would have been totally certain that problems came
from the virtualizer itself)

If you feel concerned with my reasons for doing that anyway:

- No one told me that Asterisk belonged on dedicated hardware before
you, so I didn't know.
- I'm just not very rich and try to integrate some things I need in my
machine (don't worry, I did not framebuffered or X.orged it yet) because
I cannot afford to buy another one (yes, even the 200€ one)... The part
you don't want to know is how many people I had to kill in order to get
my TDM400 card, until I found out that other cheaper solutions existed. :-)

> We're just trying to help -- but if you insist on running Asterisk in a
> VM, then you're on your own.

And I thank you for that (the helping part), you've found the deep cause
of all my zaptel problems (Xen), so please don't leave me alone! ;-)

To be a bit more constructive, I'd like to ask you or anyone that dared
to try using Asterisk on a non-dedicated hardware, specifically those
that tried on a machine hosting VMs the following:

- If there is no way running Asterisk with Xen, what type of
'hypervisor' should I use in order not to have problems? KVM?, KQemu?,
VMWare?
- What type of problems should I expect if I dare to do that? (of
course, Asterisk will be realtime-niced to make it more important)

Thanks and sorry again for the misunderstandings,
François.