[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sat May 12 08:10:19 MST 2007

Jon Pounder wrote:

> that's what "dry copper" is supposed to be, just a cross connect between 2
> pairs out of the CO. ie not even battery, line test equipment, or anything
> else hanging off it at the CO. any restriction should be purely a function
> of the inductance/capacitance of the wire and the connections and nothing
> else - anything else and you didn't get "dry copper" in the first place.
>

> just out of curiousity - anyone ever hijack pairs and get away with it ?
> (do your own cross connects on the street and utilize some crossconnect
> all within one branch of F1 cable out of the CO ?)
>
> I've been tempted in the past, and know that at least around here I would
> probably get away with it for quite some time before anyone actually cared
> enough to investigate.

At least in Bellsouth/Louisiana they do not guarantee that the circuit
will pass DC voltage.   Since it is an alarm circuit I believe they only
  guarantee that it will pass short/open.  If the circuit goes between
COs then I there is no reason for them to pass DC voltage.  If it is
within the same CO then there is no reason I can think of that it would
not pass DC voltage, except of course to prevent people from using xDSL
tech on the line.