[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Sat May 12 08:48:51 MST 2007

Quoting "Eric \ManxPower\ Wieling" <eric at fnords.org>:

> Jon Pounder wrote:
>
>> that's what "dry copper" is supposed to be, just a cross connect between 2
>> pairs out of the CO. ie not even battery, line test equipment, or anything
>> else hanging off it at the CO. any restriction should be purely a function
>> of the inductance/capacitance of the wire and the connections and nothing
>> else - anything else and you didn't get "dry copper" in the first place.
>>

>> just out of curiousity - anyone ever hijack pairs and get away with it ?
>> (do your own cross connects on the street and utilize some crossconnect
>> all within one branch of F1 cable out of the CO ?)
>>
>> I've been tempted in the past, and know that at least around here I would
>> probably get away with it for quite some time before anyone actually cared
>> enough to investigate.
>
> At least in Bellsouth/Louisiana they do not guarantee that the circuit
> will pass DC voltage.   Since it is an alarm circuit I believe they
> only  guarantee that it will pass short/open.

how can you "pass" a short/open without passing dc ?

alarm circuits are normally an always on low speed modem that I have
ever seen in practice - I know back in the stone age there was such a
thing as you describe, but I don't think its been in use since at
least the 70's or 80's. The alarm application wouldn't have to pass
dc, just ac, BUT if it doesn't pass DC its not "dry copper" its
probably what is being referred to as the "class A channel" which is
just an end to end connection for audio but no dialtone. ie its
possible to pass a modem signal on either type, but the channel might
do FX by being aggregated to fibre, etc as a 64k channel between COs
but the dry copper could never be done that way.

  If the circuit goes
> between COs then I there is no reason for them to pass DC voltage.  If
> it is within the same CO then there is no reason I can think of that it
> would not pass DC voltage, except of course to prevent people from
> using xDSL tech on the line.

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com