[asterisk-users] Dry Copper Pair

Andreas van dem Helge joakimsen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:26:27 MST 2007

On 5/13/07, Jon Pounder <JonP at inline.net> wrote:

> what exactly was the charge ?
>
> - trespass - no its public land for the most part this stuff is on so
> that doesn't apply
> - vandalism/mischief - if no other customer was impacted I don't see
> how this charge would stick since there is no measurable damages.
> - theft of service ? Going rate for dry copper is under $20/month/pr
> so to get up into the 5-10k level that might justify a higher level
> theft charge with jail time that would take some time to add up.
> Stealing cable TV/satellite probably works out to about 3x the monthly
> rate of dry copper and I have never heard of anyone being told
> anything more than disconnect it when they get caught.

Trespass -- the cross-boxes belong to the telco, not you. The telco
did not grant you access to their cross-box, now did they? If you
think they did, ask yourself if they would give you that in writing? I

> The other issue is what crime would be involved in assisting the telco
> to deliver a better level of service by doing work yourself ?

None,  but keep in mind that trespass (access to proptery thats not
yours and you  have not specifically been grated access to) and theft
of service are crimes. "Fixing" something is not a justification.  If
someone kills your friend and your state has the death penalty its not
legal to do that yourself, there are channels through which things
need to be dealt with.

> For example I often do as much work on their side of the demarc as
> possible when I have an order pending, then I know its done the way I
> would have wanted it. I have never got anything other than a thank you
> when the installer shows up and I just tell them where to make the
> final connection.

Technically the demarc is telco property but it is placed on your
property. Unless its an MDU or something thats fair game.

> The other issue that hasn't even been touched in this thread is how
> easy it is to just tap someone's line when everything is so exposed
> like this. The tap might get found, but if it was a line powered radio
> transmitter, chances of tracing back to the installer are minimal
> unless someone saw it get installed.

Well how easy is it to kill someone? With a gun all you need is a
little force on the trigger. Does it make it right?