[asterisk-users] Re: RE: Digital Phones

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Thu May 10 16:31:46 MST 2007

Hans Witvliet wrote:

>> On 5/10/07, bilal ghayyad <bilmar_gh at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>         As I know from AVAYA (I am AVAYA certified) that
>>         digital phones are connected to digital cards and it
>>         does not go through ethernet switches at all, digital
>>         phones should be independent on the ethernet network,
>>         so if the network down, these phones will start
>>         working, it will be totally isolated from the data
>>         traffic.

> Perhaps i'm mistaken, but i'm not AVAYA-certified....
> I had the impression that the main difference between analoge and
> digital phones was that (among other things) analoge phones had to be
> connected to an AD/DA-circuitry, be it an fx-board or an ATA.
>
> Digital phones, on the other hand (be it ISDN or IP) do the
> AD-conversion in the phone itself.
>
> You write that digital phone are "not connected to switches" and "are
> isolated from data traffic". Somehow i've got the impression that
> connecting phones directly to your asterisk server, without any switch
> is hard to do. And with enough bandwith on GB switches nowadays, i fail
> to see the strict requirent to isolate voip from data-traffic....
> Perhaps you could clarify, as i am not AVAYA-certified.

;) Hans: Me neither, but as you know 95 % of the bandwidth
always gets used up by p2p file sharing - no matter how fast
your connection.

Just couldn't resist, sorry.
  Philipp

--
amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied - http://www.amooma.de
     Let's use IT to solve problems and not to create new ones.

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer
Handelsregister: Neuwied B 14998