[asterisk-users] Re: RE: Digital Phones

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Thu May 10 15:25:41 MST 2007

> On 5/10/07, bilal ghayyad <bilmar_gh at yahoo.com> wrote:
>         Hi List;
>
>         As I know from AVAYA (I am AVAYA certified) that
>         digital phones are connected to digital cards and it
>         does not go through ethernet switches at all, digital
>         phones should be independent on the ethernet network,
>         so if the network down, these phones will start
>         working, it will be totally isolated from the data
>         traffic.

>         Any one can advise.
>
>         Regards
>         Bilal

Hi Bilal,

Perhaps i'm mistaken, but i'm not AVAYA-certified....
I had the impression that the main difference between analoge and
digital phones was that (among other things) analoge phones had to be
connected to an AD/DA-circuitry, be it an fx-board or an ATA.

Digital phones, on the other hand (be it ISDN or IP) do the
AD-conversion in the phone itself.

You write that digital phone are "not connected to switches" and "are
isolated from data traffic". Somehow i've got the impression that
connecting phones directly to your asterisk server, without any switch
is hard to do. And with enough bandwith on GB switches nowadays, i fail
to see the strict requirent to isolate voip from data-traffic....
Perhaps you could clarify, as i am not AVAYA-certified.

Hans
--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12