[asterisk-users] Re: RE: Digital Phones

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Thu May 10 09:15:26 MST 2007

bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> As I know from AVAYA (I am AVAYA certified) that
> digital phones are connected to digital cards and it
> does not go through ethernet switches at all, digital
> phones should be independent on the ethernet network,
> so if the network down, these phones will start
> working, it will be totally isolated from the data
> traffic.
>
> So, how that come the digital phones does not need a
> card for it?

It is *not* that the digital phones do not need a card. It is that there
is no card on the market that will work with them.

> Also, how it will use ethernet switches!

It will not use ethernet switches.

> It does not work with IP Packets.

No, it does not, and it will probably never work.

To make it even clearer:

Bilal -- You cannot use your digital phones with Asterisk. Period.

Either:

1 - use a matching digital switch (Nortel Meridian or Norstar, etc.)

2 - sell the phones and replace them with proper IP phones that you can
use over an IP network.

If you are concerned about availability in the event of a power failure:

Purchase an Uninterruptible Power Supply of the appropriate size, Power
over Ethernet injectors, and configure your system such that it will
stay up during a power outage.

-Stephen-