[asterisk-users] Re: Multi-registration ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:19:06 MST 2007

Hi Benny,

29 Mar 2007 12:36:21 +0200, Benny Amorsen <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk>:

> Indeed, this is the limitation of Asterisk which we hit most often. In
> theory, it isn't a big problem, because you just put
> Dial(SIP/foo&SIP/bar) in the dial plan. Next: someone with that
> solution needs to be able to join or leave queues. Ok, a bit of
> playing around solves that. Then you discover that it's annoying to
> have one phone ring while you are talking on the other, so you make
> call groups to handle that problem. Whoops, you need to recognize
> outgoing calls too, to get them in the call group as well -- but
> transferred calls should not be counted. Hackety-hack, fixed that one
> as well.
>
> After a while you end up with 10 lines of dial plan per phone. Not
> nice. It would be much nicer to deal with if the dial command could be
> told to return BUSY when just one of the devices it calls is busy.
> Even better would be multi-registration, of course.

That's exactly what I meant by "simpler" : maybe, you can work around
single-registration but it seems to me that things would be much more
natural with multi-registration : it's up to your hardphone to offer
convenient and flexible behaviour in multi-registration : return BUSY when
it has to, allow per-registration call forwarding or logout, MWI, ...

Snom phones support multline registration.
If Asterisk could also support it ...

Cheers