[asterisk-users] Doorphone vs. Grandstream BT101

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Fri Mar 23 12:56:06 MST 2007

Jay Milk wrote:
> I've done all the googling I can on this, and have come to the
> conclusion that a Grandstream BT101 can be abused to be a door phone.
> Could someone with access to one, confirm that the following is possible?
>
> Researched:
> 1. When set to auto-answer, dialing the phone will result in a short
> beep and instant speaker-phone connection.
> 2. When pressing the "message" button while on-hook, the phone will
> activate speaker-phone and dial the number configured for voice mail
> retrieval.
>
> Assumptions:
> 3. Pressing the "message" button additional times will simply be ignored
> by the phone.
> 4. Hanging up the other end of the call will deactivate the speaker
> phone and cause the phone to go on-hook. (This is the behavior I see on
> a Polycom 430).
>
> If the researched functions and my assumptions are correct, this phone
> would make an ideal door-phone;  The message button becomes the
> call-button, which rings every phone in the house until answered (for
> intercom).  It could even take messages.  Listen-in on the door works
> through the auto-answer feature.

Jay,

If my memory serves me your assumptions are correct. When the BT is set
to auto-answer through the config you get a short warble-like sound and
the phone goes into speaker mode (I'm using one for paging in that exact
fasion). I'm pretty sure that if you are on-hook, pressing the message
button will instantly place the call and go into speaker mode (if noone
verifies this I'll try it this weekend). I don't know about #3. #4 is
correct when the phone is set to auto-answer. If it is not on
auto-answer the phone will play a busy signal when the other party hangs
up which I always thought was kind of dumb.

-Dave