[asterisk-users] Doorphone vs. Grandstream BT101

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Fri Mar 23 12:57:24 MST 2007

I've done all the googling I can on this, and have come to the
conclusion that a Grandstream BT101 can be abused to be a door phone.
Could someone with access to one, confirm that the following is possible?

Researched:
1. When set to auto-answer, dialing the phone will result in a short
beep and instant speaker-phone connection.
2. When pressing the "message" button while on-hook, the phone will
activate speaker-phone and dial the number configured for voice mail
retrieval.

Assumptions:
3. Pressing the "message" button additional times will simply be ignored
by the phone.
4. Hanging up the other end of the call will deactivate the speaker
phone and cause the phone to go on-hook. (This is the behavior I see on
a Polycom 430).

If the researched functions and my assumptions are correct, this phone
would make an ideal door-phone;  The message button becomes the
call-button, which rings every phone in the house until answered (for
intercom).  It could even take messages.  Listen-in on the door works
through the auto-answer feature.

Could someone confirm this for me?

Thanks!