[asterisk-users] Doorphone vs. Grandstream BT101

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Fri Mar 23 13:09:06 MST 2007

Jay Milk wrote:
> I've done all the googling I can on this, and have come to the
> conclusion that a Grandstream BT101 can be abused to be a door phone.
> Could someone with access to one, confirm that the following is possible?
>
> Researched:
> 1. When set to auto-answer, dialing the phone will result in a short
> beep and instant speaker-phone connection.
I have this setup now, but don't recall the short beep.  It may be
configurable.

> 2. When pressing the "message" button while on-hook, the phone will
> activate speaker-phone and dial the number configured for voice mail
> retrieval.

Correct.

> Assumptions:
> 3. Pressing the "message" button additional times will simply be
> ignored by the phone.

I have several, I can check this weekend.

> 4. Hanging up the other end of the call will deactivate the speaker
> phone and cause the phone to go on-hook. (This is the behavior I see
> on a Polycom 430).

I would have to say correct as well, since I'm using it as a paging unit
and it does hang up after playing back the audio file.

Something to consider, the BT101's speak phone has no Echo cancellation
whatsoever and sounds just awful in a two way conversation.

Doug