[asterisk-users] E-911 and Asterisk

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Sat Mar 17 10:01:22 MST 2007

On Mar 17, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Davis Sylvester III wrote:
> What do you mean there is no way to do.  Others have done this so
> there is a way. I thought the taught the purpose of this list was
> to HELP....
> THANKS, for the HELP!!!!

Wow,  kinda rude don't you think?   Matt WAS Helping,  why aren't you
listening?

Contact your state SETB and ask about connecting to their selective
routers so you can send calls direct to the PSAPs.  You'll also need
to update the location of your DIDs and validate them against the
MSAG.    Normally you'll need to use IMTs to connect to the selective
router and IMTs require SS7 with ISUP routes to your LECs STP.  You
do have SS7 on your Asterisk box right? If you want to provide cross
LATA E-911 then you'll need to connect  to each pair of Selective
Routers in each LATA.  You'll also need ISUP routes to each Selective
Router.    Go to www.nena.org and read about your E-911
responsibilities.  Make sure you setup your Asterisk box so once a
customer dials 911 they CANNOT hang up the phone.  You also need to
make sure you have redundant routes to each Selective Router and
provide a failover to a live operator in case the call can't complete
(in short, a 911 call must ALWAYS complete to a live person).  Only a
911 operator can hang up a 911 call...

Or,  you could call Intrado.com and save a ton of money and headaches.

Oh,  an don't forget about CALEA,  good luck with that one.

But hey,  what do I know about VoIP, SS7 and building a CLEC?  I run
a full CLEC, with full SS7 connectivity to Verizon,  redundant routes
to the Selective Routers for my LATA.  Local number portability
database access, all that fun stuff.  I still outsource my 911
traffic to Intrado.

--
Matthew S. Crocker
President