[asterisk-users] E-911 and Asterisk

Davis Sylvester III davis at 5-9Networks.com
Sat Mar 17 11:04:38 MST 2007

Matthew Crocker wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Davis Sylvester III wrote:
>> What do you mean there is no way to do.  Others have done this so
>> there is a way. I thought the taught the purpose of this list was to
>> HELP....
>> THANKS, for the HELP!!!!
>
> Wow,  kinda rude don't you think?   Matt WAS Helping,  why aren't you
> listening?
>
> Contact your state SETB and ask about connecting to their selective
> routers so you can send calls direct to the PSAPs.  You'll also need
> to update the location of your DIDs and validate them against the
> MSAG.    Normally you'll need to use IMTs to connect to the selective
> router and IMTs require SS7 with ISUP routes to your LECs STP.  You do
> have SS7 on your Asterisk box right? If you want to provide cross LATA
> E-911 then you'll need to connect  to each pair of Selective Routers
> in each LATA.  You'll also need ISUP routes to each Selective
> Router.    Go to www.nena.org and read about your E-911
> responsibilities.  Make sure you setup your Asterisk box so once a
> customer dials 911 they CANNOT hang up the phone.  You also need to
> make sure you have redundant routes to each Selective Router and
> provide a failover to a live operator in case the call can't complete
> (in short, a 911 call must ALWAYS complete to a live person).  Only a
> 911 operator can hang up a 911 call...
>
> Or,  you could call Intrado.com and save a ton of money and headaches.
>
> Oh,  an don't forget about CALEA,  good luck with that one.
>
> But hey,  what do I know about VoIP, SS7 and building a CLEC?  I run a
> full CLEC, with full SS7 connectivity to Verizon,  redundant routes to
> the Selective Routers for my LATA.  Local number portability database
> access, all that fun stuff.  I still outsource my 911 traffic to Intrado.
>
> --
> Matthew S. Crocker
> President
> Crocker Communications, Inc.
> Internet Division
> PO BOX 710
> Greenfield, MA 01302-0710
> http://www.crocker.com

Thanks, that's the type of information I was looking for.  I want to
read documentation myself and make a decision based on my needs and how
much time I can devote to providing e911 services ourselves.

I wasn't being rude, but I requested assistance, and was told it
couldn't be done, when there are 30+ companies listed on the FCC sites
as providing e911 services.  So I knew it could be done, I was wondering
what the request of your were doing to meet e911 services.

I'll read up on it and if we choose to move ahead with it I will
document the process and place on a e911 wiki.    But nevertheless
thanks for all the replies, it helps in getting me pointed in the right
direction.