[asterisk-users] New to Asterisk

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 08:33:08 MST 2007

> 1. We'll be using analog PSTN phone lines. Is there anything that I should
> ask the telecom company before I buy the card? What I mean is whether the
> card will be compatible with the line?

Just regular lines... not T1 or PRI?   You shouldn't have any issues.

2. What about the hardware on the PC? I will be using at least a Pentium 3
> with a 600 or 700 MHz processor with at least 256 MB. Is there a way to know
> how much traffic or calls it can handle?

This is a little on the low side.   Is this a system for work?  If so, I'd
suggest a GIG of RAM and at least a 1Ghz processor.

3. Suppose I buy a TDM04B card. It has 4 FXO modules and 0 FXS module. Later
> I decide that I need a TDM13B configuration. Can I just buy 1 FXS S110M
> module and replace one existing FXO module myself and reconfigure Asterisk?

Absolutely!

4. Does fax work fine with Asterisk? Should I use one FXS module for each
> fax machine?

Fax works ok as long as you aren't going over a high latency VoIP
connection.  PSTN to FXO should work ok.

5. Is the power connector on the card identical to the power connectors
> inside PCs?

Yes, but you only need this if you hook up FXS modules.

Thank you for any help.