[asterisk-users] Packet2Packet Bridging Questions

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu Mar 8 10:44:32 MST 2007

Daryl Jurbala wrote:
> I'm just starting to upgrade some boxes from 1.2.x to 1.4.1 as well as
> trying to get some of the RTP traffic offloaded from the network.  I
> think I'm misunderstanding what the console messages mean when it says
> "Packet2Packet Bridding SIP/blah to SIP/blah".  I though that meant that
> it had successfully (re)INVITED and the media was no longer going
> through my Asterisk box, but ethereal says different.
>
> I'm not having much luck finding any information on this on the wiki or
> google.  Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
> Daryl

Packet2Packet Bridging = Audio is not going through the Asterisk core,
it comes into the RTP stack and goes directly out. This decreases the
amount of memory allocation that happens, and things require less
processing.

Native Bridging = Audio was reinvited between the two endpoints so it
(should) go direct.

Joshua Colp
Software Developer
Digium, Inc.