[asterisk-users] Asterisk distributed deployment

Steve Totaro stevetotaro at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 09:52:13 MST 2007

ggonzalez at telviso.com.ar wrote:
> Hello all, I post this issue thinking too that could help other people on an
> asterisk deployment over distributed offices considering both quality, prices,
> devices and so.
>
> Well, i am working on a deployment of a telephony system based in asterisk. My
> company have a central office with seven remote offices connected all through a
> VPN. To reduce and evaluate costs i consider solutions like:
>
> Asterisk servers  on all locations(central and remote offices) or
> Asterisk on Central office plus FXO Gateways on remote offices, all of this
> connected through a central asterisk cluster
>
> With the first option i have TDM cards seller that offer me DIGIUM (expensive)
> or OPENVOX (less expensive), but because i not have experience with OPENVOX
> telephony hardware I cant consider that. So, if Any can give me some good
> reasons for use OPENVOX against DIGIUM cards i would have solve this question
> because may build IAX trunks on each office.
>
> With the 2nd option I have sellers that offer me gateways:
> Quintum Tenor AFT400
> Planet VIP-480 FO
>
> But, again, I don't have experience with asterisk and FXO gateways to think that
> it is the best solution amen that is the less expensive solution.
>
> Another solution that i consider is mount asterisk on central office and IP PBX
> DIGISTAR preconfigured on remote offices.
>
> On the Users Side I was considering the use of Ata's or FXS Gateways, with Ata's
> I get offers of Audiocodes MP202, GRANDSTREAM HT 386 or Linksys SPA-2002. And
> with FXS Gateways sellers offers me Quintum Tenor AXG2400, Quintum Tenor
> AFG800
>
> Thanks for any word that can help me to get this VoIP deployment working and
> sorry for my english. Cheers
>
> G.

So what exactly are you asking?

If you want to do it right, put asterisk servers at all of your
locations and connect them to the PSTN then use LCR in your dialplan to
route calls within the organization and also route calls out the best
office as far as TDM rates.  Deploy SIP phones that point to their local
Asterisk server.  Then if your network goes down at any point, each site
is fully independent.

If you want to go cheap, you have a VPN, setup the main office with an
asterisk box with PSTN connectivity and then deploy SIP phones at the
remote offices that point over the VPN to your main office.

Thanks,
Steve