[asterisk-users] mobility with asterisk

Alex Robar alex.robar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:58:56 MST 2007

Hi Alvaro,

There was a discussion about this a little while ago. Andrew Joakimsen had
some good ideas with how to allow a wifi sip phone to roam between APs
seemlessly. His post pretty much said the following:

  - Set all APs to the same channel and same SSID.
  - Make sure all APs are connected to the same LAN (no NAT on the AP).
  - Play with the settings on the phone with regards to roaming deltas and
receive levels. Suggested settings:
     - RxLevel: -60
     - PreRoaming: Enable
     - RxLevel: -75
     - Try Over TxErrcnt: 15
     - Try Over RxErrorcnt: 10

Playing with the pre-roaming settings will help you, but you may see a drop
in battery life.

Cheers,
Alex

On 3/7/07, Alvaro Pacho <alvaropacho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I´m working testing every feature of asterisk in a lab.  Now I am very
> interested in asterisk over network mobility environment. For example : when
> somebody is talking with his ip-phone ) and moving around a big enterprise,
> needing to change the ip-address (other AP) would it be possible in the
> minimum time to avoid loosing quality in the current call? I read this test
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2006-December/025263.html
> but it´was written in December of 2006!! Were this ideas implemented? If you
> can help me with information about that please write me and I´ll test and
> give you my end result.
> Does anybody knows something about which is the best Cisco router to this
> mobility environment?
>
> Best regards,
>
>                Pacho

Alex Robar