[asterisk-dev] user mobility & dial plan

Arnaud Ligot spyroux at spyroux.be
Sun Dec 10 02:17:04 MST 2006

Hello,

At the present time, there are a lot of asterisk users which implement users mobility on top of Asterisk. They use their own dial plan based on an AGI script. It could be really great if this feature come with Asterisk.

Some ideas:
these ideas are not fact, just ideas which prove, I think, there is not a lot of work in order to implement user localisation into Asterisk:
* a new configuration file (or real time db) with all _user_ or _human_. In this configuration file we could specify the default channel of this user, his mobile number, his mail address, voicemail extension, ?default extension?, ?password?, ?caller id?... and why not a short dialplan link to this user: First my default number, then queue to support queue, ... or mobile phone and default channel together...
* in the main dialplan we could have some new applications like: (pseudo-code)
	- getUserLocalisation(user)
	- setUserLocalisation(user, [channel[, password]])
		channel default = current channel
		password default = ask to the user his password

so we could do: (again in pseudo-code)
	- exten => 123,1,Dial(getUserLocalisation('Bob'))
	- exten => 124,1,Dial(getUserLocalisation('Alice')|getUserLocalisation('Jude'))

Other ideas:
* When a call came into Asterisk, Asterisk try to identify the user and put this information into a variable...
* an Asterisk Manager API could be really great for this
* the user localisation database must survive to a crash/reload/restart

What do other developpers think about that ?  I don't think it needs a lot of works in order to implement this into Asterisk... And a feature like user localisation could be really really great.

best regards,

Arnaud Ligot.