[asterisk-users] svn 1.4 - mp3 support and changing the installation directory

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Mar 2 17:26:17 MST 2007

tzieleniewski wrote:
> 1. In many docs on the web there is an info to make asterisk by invoking #make mpg123 in order to have the mp3 support, when I try to do it this way make informs that there are no such make rules.

Those documents are referring to versions prior to 1.4. Asterisk 1.4 no
longer provides any assistance for building MP3 support to be used as
music-on-hold, as we have more efficient and reliable ways to use native
format files now.

> 2. Also in docs on the web there an info about Debian zaptel installation that the easyiest way is to install zaptel-modules as the package. but at the moment the there is only 1.2 verion available. So I need to install it from sources. What do I need to do to load the zaptel modules.
> Will it be enough just to make the following?:
> # cd /.../zaptel_source
> # make
> # make install
> # modprobe zaptel

Yes.

> 3. I would like to have my all asterisk stuff (asterisk,addons,core-sounds) installed in the asterisk system user home directory.
> Is it sufficient to set the INSTALL_PREFIX= in the make file to the desired value??

Not really, no. That will be a good start, but there are configuration
files that will need hand-editing to ensure that all parts of Asterisk
know that the installation has been done to that location. If I remember
correctly, there are recipes for doing so on the voip-info wiki.

> 4. is it possible to get a packet of core-sounds directly from the svn?

No, they are not in Subversion, they are on the FTP server. You are
welcome to download them from there.