[asterisk-users] IAX best practices

Steve Totaro stevetotaro at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:04:01 MST 2007

Asterisk wrote:
> Thanks Steve!
>
> What are usually the best approaches in troubleshooting the audio
> quality issues and QoS related stuff when putting two Asterisk boxes
> together via IAX?
>
> Have you ever tried connecting Asterisk boxes in the same VPN (but still
> in different countries)?
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Alex,

VPN will only help in keeping your data more secure.  It will actually
hurt your latency and throughput since there is processor overhead
involved in encrypting/decrypting and and bandwidth in encapsulating the
data.

As I said before, audio issues with voice breaking up are usually
indicative of not enough bandwidth and delay (sometimes echo) is cause
by latency.  Unless your carrier offers QoS end to end, there is very
little you can do about it except on your little piece of of the
network.  You can always buy more bandwidth though.

How big is the pipe and what are your ping times (through the VPN and
over the public internet)?

Thanks,
Steve