[asterisk-users] IAX best practices

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Fri Mar 2 11:20:07 MST 2007

On 2 Mar 2007, at 08:04, Steve Totaro wrote:

> Asterisk wrote:
>> Thanks Steve!
>>
>> What are usually the best approaches in troubleshooting the audio
>> quality issues and QoS related stuff when putting two Asterisk boxes
>> together via IAX?
>>
>> Have you ever tried connecting Asterisk boxes in the same VPN (but
>> still
>> in different countries)?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alex
>>

> Alex,
>
> VPN will only help in keeping your data more secure.  It will
> actually hurt your latency and throughput since there is processor
> overhead involved in encrypting/decrypting and and bandwidth in
> encapsulating the data.

I've heard rumors that some networks (e.g. 3g mobile carriers) put a
QoS on VPN packets to improve
the response time for their business customers. So in some
exceptional cases the IAX over VPN could
show lower latency than straight IAX, but it is pretty unlikely.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net
www.westhawk.co.uk/