[asterisk-users] More FAX over T1

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:03:31 CDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Joe acquisto <joea at j4computers.com> wrote:

> This is a follow up to an earlier post.
>
> Looking for a means to "individualize" incoming FAX, so as to distribute
> them to the intended recipient.
>
> While the PBX is based on Asterisk, it is not possible for me to "enter"
> the box to modify things, to any great degree.  I thank those who mentioned
> IAXMODEM, earlier, but that seems a no go.

With all due respect, this project should be handed over to whomever has
authorization to administer the Asterisk box. We can tell you how to do it
in Asterisk, but if you can't take our advice, our ability to help you will
be severely limited.

Now, we have many, many fax machines. We have our incoming through PRI, and
then redirect to a channel bank. We have no problems with fax reception.
When we used a Sangoma card, we did, but now that we're back on Digium
hardware, we've been doing well, thus far. Probably had to do with the echo
cancellation, but without infinite time to troubleshoot, we just had to get
it working.

I would not recommend passing fax data across the PCI bus between cards. I'm
probably just superstitious, but I wouldn't do it. But it would be very
simple to do with just a Dial statement.

Basically, just go out and try it. Your business requirements and what
you're allowed to do obviously drive where your decision is going to go. If
you get stuck, and can't find answers through Google or the Wiki, then ask
this list. But you can't expect us to tell you what's going to work in your
business when you aren't empowered to follow our advice.