[asterisk-users] VPN on Asterisk

Rob Schall rschall at callone.net
Mon Jun 18 09:01:16 CDT 2007

We were able to buy a linksys router and install openwrt on it with
openvpn. That router was a client to our openvpn servers at the main
office (where the asterisk box is) and it was able to route all the
traffic that way with a few extra ip table routes. A possible cheaper
solution (since a router runs about 50 bucks). Only caution there.....
it can get choppy since you are now relying not only on a packet-loss
free connection between your phone and the asterisk server, but now you
have the heavier load of a vpn connection (which might cause an echo or
simply a delay in hearing a voice).

Rob