[asterisk-users] VPN on Asterisk

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 08:45:58 CDT 2007

On 6/18/07, Dominik Zalewski <dzalewski at open-craft.com> wrote:

> On Monday 18 June 2007 03:09:40 pm Biju wrote:
> > Somebody sugested that we can do this with open VPN .
>
> 1st Asterisk PBX - install OpenVPN and configure it to run as a server
>
> 2nd Asterisk PBX - install OpenVPN and configure it as a client

That assumes, of course, that there's Asterisk PBXes at each location. The
post refers to "phy phones," which may refer to hard phones, or could mean
my phones. Not really sure.

Anyway, you can create an SSL VPN that tunnels network to network
connections with hardware network devices. There are tons out there,
starting with little linksys boxes, all the way up to Cisco PIXes. Or you
can use OpenVPN and some IP tables routing, or just about anything else you
can imagine. If you have softphones, you can connect the PCs through a VPN,
as mentioned before.

But I have yet to see a sip hardphone that has an integrated VPN client.
Although it would be nice...