[asterisk-users] Re: asterisk testing - thanx!

Atis atis at BEST.eu.org
Thu Jun 14 02:05:49 CDT 2007

On 6/14/07, George Williams <george.williams at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you both for your expert responses to my question about asterisk
> testing on the asterisk newsgroup.
>
> I'm taking my follow up questions off-line...
>
> 1) SIPP looks like just what I need for SIP testing, thanx.  You also
> mentioned dialplan testing using AGI and AEL.  Are these toolkits?
AGI is Asterisk Gateway Interface, AEL is Asterisk Expression
Language. More or less they are the same - scripts for Asterisk.

> 2) Using asterisk to test asterisk seems very clever.  Is it possible to
> automate the asterisk which is acting as the tester?  The reason is because
> I also have need for a "heart-beat" app - which validates the production
> asterisk server at regular intervals.

For that you can go with simple nagios script, but if you really need
to test is speech getting trough, you can use tester asterisk to
connect to production (with two users), and then make call from 1st
tester user to 2nd tester user. Then on 1st just play some DTMF, and
listen for it with Read(). As for automation - simple cron job can
place call files for asterisk.

> BTW, I use asterisk for several things - as a SIP proxy, the IVR, and
> multi-conference.  So automating testing and validation of all these
> features is key.

Regards,
Atis