[asterisk-users] Provisioning Linksys PAP2T ATA's

Mattt mattt at romatel.net
Fri Jun 8 02:59:00 CDT 2007

Nick,

  Pretty much - it builds the XML output on the fly, and delivers it
over HTTP (PHP/Apache).

  It "works the same" for all of the mainstream Linksys kit - including
SPA phones.

  Generally, where we've installed IP phones, we've also installed an
Asterisk appliance in the form of a Linux box, so those ones we
provision via TFTP on-site.

  We've not yet had any problems with security. Please let's talk of
that no further now :p

  We don't disable / lock anything. We don't want to become one of
"those" providers. Our customers buy their CPE, and thus probably expect
to completely own it. We have information on our web which shows the
customer how to (reasonably) easily get the unit to start provisioning
itself against our prov server again. Alternatively, we get them to
establish it's LAN IP, then send them an email with a link to click
which does this for them.

  Where available, the latest firmware is sent to the device as part of
the pre-provisioning process.

  Differences between PAP2 and PAP2T are:

    - Plainer packaging - more "OEM" style
    - LED colour
    - No "stand-up" attachment (which could lead to overheats, given the
vent placement)
    - PAP2T supports T.38
    - PAP2T has more RAM
    - PAP2T is *supposed* to be able to handle 2 concurrent G729 calls -
but it can't
    - Different chipset

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 00:34 -0400, Nick Seraphin wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Mattt wrote:
>
> > Doug,
> >
> >   We just "pre-provision" the Linksys CPE (including PAP2(T)-NA's) in
> > the lab over TFTP after barcode-scanning the relevant information for
> > that unit into a web management interface and, once the unit is deployed
> > onsite, it continues to pull it's config from our prov server over HTTP.
> >
> >   The provisioning service itself is just a PHP engine which pulls the
> > relevant settings for that CPE from a database - this way, we can have
> > individual parameters for certain customers (who might be, for instance,
> > having issues with echo or latency, etc, etc, or some need for a
> > different config to our "norm").
>

> Does your PHP engine just generate a plain text XML file to HTTP via
> stdout?
>
> Does it work the same for both PAP2's and the IP Phones (SPA942/SPA962,
> etc)?
>
> I've successfully provisioned an SPA942 via plain text XML from a tftp
> server, but I've never tried a PAP2 remotely, nor have I tried with HTTP.
>
> Do you find any problems with security with it being in plain text?
>
> Do you disable the "restore to factory defaults" thing?
>
> Do you upgrade to the latest firmware before shipping out your PAP2's?
>
> (more below)
>
> >   Works a treat, is easy as (once the coding is done), and takes about
> > 10 seconds to pre-prov (also provides the opportunity to ensure the unit
> > isn't a DOA). Customer simply receives the device and plugs it in, waits
> > a few seconds (the pre-prov doesn't configure the unit, just prepares it
> > for remote provisioning from the target site), then starts making calls.
> >
> >   Oh - and, unless you can locate some "new, old stock", you won't find
> > the PAP2-NA (with the blue LEDs) anywhere. They were discontinued many
> > months ago...
>
> What's the difference(s) between a PAP2 and a PAP2T?  I've only got
> PAP2's, and I've got several spares in inventory that I'm hoping I won't
> regret having. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Nick

Cheers,
Mattt.

  - ROMATel - VoIP made easy - http://romatel.net
  - SpotSafe - WiFi Hotspot solution - http://spotsafe.net

    There are only 10 kinds of people.
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't...