[asterisk-users] Provisioning Linksys PAP2T ATA's

Nick Seraphin asterisk at eaglequest.com
Thu Jun 7 23:34:37 CDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Mattt wrote:

> Doug,
>
>   We just "pre-provision" the Linksys CPE (including PAP2(T)-NA's) in
> the lab over TFTP after barcode-scanning the relevant information for
> that unit into a web management interface and, once the unit is deployed
> onsite, it continues to pull it's config from our prov server over HTTP.
>
>   The provisioning service itself is just a PHP engine which pulls the
> relevant settings for that CPE from a database - this way, we can have
> individual parameters for certain customers (who might be, for instance,
> having issues with echo or latency, etc, etc, or some need for a
> different config to our "norm").

Does your PHP engine just generate a plain text XML file to HTTP via
stdout?

Does it work the same for both PAP2's and the IP Phones (SPA942/SPA962,
etc)?

I've successfully provisioned an SPA942 via plain text XML from a tftp
server, but I've never tried a PAP2 remotely, nor have I tried with HTTP.

Do you find any problems with security with it being in plain text?

Do you disable the "restore to factory defaults" thing?

Do you upgrade to the latest firmware before shipping out your PAP2's?

(more below)

>   Works a treat, is easy as (once the coding is done), and takes about
> 10 seconds to pre-prov (also provides the opportunity to ensure the unit
> isn't a DOA). Customer simply receives the device and plugs it in, waits
> a few seconds (the pre-prov doesn't configure the unit, just prepares it
> for remote provisioning from the target site), then starts making calls.
>
>   Oh - and, unless you can locate some "new, old stock", you won't find
> the PAP2-NA (with the blue LEDs) anywhere. They were discontinued many
> months ago...

What's the difference(s) between a PAP2 and a PAP2T?  I've only got
PAP2's, and I've got several spares in inventory that I'm hoping I won't
regret having. :-)

Thanks,

-- Nick