[asterisk-users] click to call

Nick Seraphin asterisk at eaglequest.com
Sat Jun 2 17:00:02 MST 2007

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Steve Totaro wrote:

> That is a totally different concept than we have been discussing.  You
> are talking about actual phones and the person clicking, then entering
> their phone number having to pick up a physical phone.  This is as
> trivial as generating a .call file and dialplan magic.
>
> The concept we are discussing is clicking a link that connects the
> clicker to whatever via the computer using a headset or speakers and a
> mic.  No phone or numbers involved, at least to the clicker.

The problem is, the only people who will be able to use that link are
geeks that have a headset/mic on their computer.

Most normal people don't have those devices, and even if they did, they
feel much more comfortable with the concept of making phone calls using a
telephone.

We all often forget that the vast majority of the outside world is not
technically-inclined in any way, and that unless your web site is only
targetted towards computer geeks, you're creating a huge barrier for the
average customer.  Everyone has a phone, though.

If the analog FXS adapter had not been created and reduced to an
affordable price, VOIP would still only be about as popular today as it
was in 1995.

-- Nick