[asterisk-users] Audio going blank for a few seconds andthencomes back. What could be the reason?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jun 1 06:36:14 MST 2007

On Friday 01 June 2007 9:24 am, Rob Schall wrote:
> comcast high-speed, thinking that would be more than enough. Turned out
> though, with most high speed solutions, there is some limited packet
> loss and its just to be expected. You internet browsers, etc, would

Limited packet loss != **EIGHT SECONDS** of network breakage.  Jitter buffers
and PLC takes care of most normal network indiscretions, but period dropouts
of that big of a time aren't normal and indicate a bigger issue, either with
the hardware or the link itself.

> normally just re-request the packet and move on, but with a stream,
> you're out of luck. The only real solution is to have a dedicated T1 or
> mpls connection or something like that for perfect quality. We have
> solid connections between our offices and haven't had a problem yet.

I have numerous installations using standard telco (Bell Canada and Telus)
DSL, and at least one on Rogers cable here in Ontario.  No real problems.
The odd problem if the pipe gets saturated but careful design and monitoring
can take care of most of these problems.

I agree with Mr. Hanselman; get a packet logger on the link and see what's
really going on.  Until that's done, everything here is just speculation.  I
have seen bugs in the IAX2 and SIP jitter buffers on Asterisk which cause
dropouts like this, and I'd like to see what's actually going on before
pointing any fingers.

-A.