[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Jul 4 20:21:47 CDT 2007

Jeff Davis wrote:
> Jon Pounder wrote:
>> If someone already has a customer relationship with them, ask straight
>> out does it work in US/Canada with the BRI available here with asterisk.
>
> I just got off the phone with my sales rep. It appears I'm the third
> person today to ask about this. (I wonder why?)

Your rep at Sangoma? Or your reseller?

> The answer is no it will not work in NA. Their reasoning being that with
> limited resources they went after the biggest market. I get the
> impression that there are no plans to write a North American driver as
> the demand seems to be very low.

This is a real chicken-and-egg problem. More people would get BRI if
there were affordable hardware for it.

I would like to see them write a NAm driver for it. To get them to take
the chance, there have to be enough people willing to purchase the card
to make them consider it seriously.

The other option is a bounty or community support to get it done. The
hardware already exists.

The more people make noise about this, the better the chances of that
happening.

-Stephen-