[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Jeff Davis asterisk at netsourceva.com
Wed Jul 4 23:34:36 CDT 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Your rep at Sangoma? Or your reseller?

That wasn't very clear. Sorry. It was Sangoma.
(I would be more verbose, but I don't want to spam the list)

> This is a real chicken-and-egg problem. More people would get BRI if
> there were affordable hardware for it.
>
> I would like to see them write a NAm driver for it. To get them to take
> the chance, there have to be enough people willing to purchase the card
> to make them consider it seriously.
>
> The other option is a bounty or community support to get it done. The
> hardware already exists.
>
> The more people make noise about this, the better the chances of that
> happening.

If there was a driver available, I'm still not sure how many installs I
could sell. Verizon wants to pretend the service doesn't exist, and the
largest CLEC in my area doesn't even sell it. (I even offered to buy my
CLEC rep dinner and she wouldn't sell it to me.) Without telco support I
think that the only real market for this is the DIY crowd.

Of course, as you point out, we'll never know how big the market is
without a driver.

I think that the only real incentive for Sangoma to write a driver for
an unproven market would be if there were a community driver available,
and the cards start selling. The addition of a manufacturer supplied and
supported driver would likely increase sales.

--
Jeff Davis
Netsource Consulting