[asterisk-users] unable to create channel, in strange state, exited non-zero, etc.

Wayne Jensen wayne at srmarketresearch.com
Thu Jan 25 11:31:36 MST 2007

I'm having various issues that may or may not be related to each other (I'm
pretty sure they are).  We've had this system for a year now (quad T1 card,
right now we have 1 T1 coming in, 2 going out to channel banks) and we've
had intermittent "ghost" calls--it appears that what is happening is a call
is made, the number being called is disconnected/busy/answering
machine/whatever, we hang up and the phone starts ringing.  Answer the phone
and it's that same call still not hung up.

That problem hadn't happened very often so we didn't worry too much about
it.  It was just a little annoying.  We had pretty low traffic on the system
though and were mostly still using our old phone system.

On Monday I switched so that all of the phones are going through this
Asterisk system and Tuesday morning we started having major problems.  Calls
were being dropped in the middle of the call.  At times, everyone who was
trying to make a call would get a "fast busy" and "Unable to create channel
of type 'Zap'" showed up in the logs.

Yesterday we had various Red and Yellow alarms.  Here are a few lines from
the logs:

Yesterday:
Jan 24 10:01:47 WARNING[12435] chan_zap.c: Detected alarm on channel 24: Red
Alarm
Jan 24 10:02:11 NOTICE[25813] app_dial.c: Unable to create channel of type
'Zap' (cause 34 - Circuit/channel congestion)

Today:
Jan 25 08:39:23 WARNING[6863] chan_zap.c: zt hook failed: Device or resource
busy
Jan 25 08:40:32 WARNING[932] chan_zap.c: Ring/Off-hook in strange state 6 on
channel 2

>From console:
  == Spawn extension (phones-agent, 1510272xxxx, 2) exited non-zero on
'Zap/95-1'